UNO is celebrating Yoga Day on 21st June. Lets remember the yoga Gurus.
( Click on the names to see the details . )
1. Tirumalai Krishnamacharya (November 18, 1888 – February 28, 1989)
2. Yogacharya B.K.S. Iyengar ( December 14, 1918-August 20, 2014)
3. Swami Sivananda (8 September 1887 – 14 July 1963)
4. Paramhansa Yogananda 1893 – 1952
He was one of the first yoga guru from India to take up permanent residence in the West. His Autobiography of a Yogi is the first hand account of the life experiences of Paramhansa Yogananda. It is one of the best-selling spiritual classics of all time, read by millions of people all over the world. Yogananda initiated his followers into the ancient technique of Kriya Yoga, which he called the “jet-airplane route to God.”
5. K. Pattabhi Jois (26 July 1915 – 18 May 2009)
6. Jaggi Vasudev ( September 3, 1957)
7. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (12 January 1918 – 5 February 2008)
is probably the richest Yoga exponent , he developed the Transcendental Meditation technique . It is reported that net worth of Maharishi’s organization has ranged from the millions to billions of U.S. dollars and in 2008, the organization placed the value of their United States assets at about $300 million.
8. Bikram Chaudhary (February 10, 1946)
9. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar (May 13, 1956)
Dhirendra Brahmachari (12 February 1924 – 9 June 1994)
was born as Dhirendra Choudhary in village Basaith chanpura, Madhubani, Bihar. He was the yoga mentor of Indira Gandhi – a former Prime Minister of India.He introduced yoga as a subject of study in Delhi administered schools, a considerable innovation. In 1981 he also introduced yoga in the Kendriya Vidyalayas, or central government schools under the Ministry of Human Resource Development.